Monday, February 17, 2014

February 17, 2014

Today I woke up feeling ill and unmotivated, although I had problems to solve and work to do.  But as colds go, once I got moving, I felt better and accomplished a lot quite painlessly even before noon.

But my happy moment of the day so far (it's only 4:30 p.m.) was the resolution of a big gaffe on my part.  I volunteered to run the music for my daughter's ballet exams this Friday morning and afternon.  I volunteered, and then I ran the mock exams last week just for practice, which acted as "training," because it is a little nerve-wracking to be know just how the music needs to go.  Once I did the mock exams, that meant no one else was "trained" to do it, so I was committed.  Only THEN did it occur to me that -- hello! -- I TEACH on Friday mornings! WHAT was I thinking?

So one happy moment of this day came when I called my go-to gal for substituting for me in these kinds of emergencies, and she was available and happy to take not just one, but both of my classes this week.  Not only was my problem solved, but now I get two weeks completely off, because next week is our winter break.  Wee!

And my next happy moment of the day is this very moment, because I am blissfully alone.  Waaaahhhhhh!  I haven't been alone in my house in FOREVER.  And so I am happy, happy, happy, as Phil Robertson would say.  =)

But actually, my very first happy moment came early, early this morning.  I heard and briefly woke up to hear my phone receiving text messages in the wee hours of the morning, and I knew it was my sister reporting on her visit to her daughter this past weekend.  It vaguely occurred to me in my foggy brain that I needed to read them ASAP when I woke up -- it was either going to be very good or very bad.  She and her husband made the difficult decision to send their troubled daughter to a Teen Challenge program in Georgia for 15 months, and this was their first visit with her.  Anyway, it was a joy to wake up to read a great report of their visit.  It sounds like she is doing very, very well.

And now, my day will have another "moment," but I have to wait to see whether it will be the news we want or not.  My ballet daughter has submitted video auditions in hopes of being selected to represent our region in an international ballet competition coming up in Auguat.  Today is the day the bigwigs view all the videos of hopeful candidates.  I don't know whether they will actually make their selections today, but I think we should get a little preliminary feedback, such as how many submissions there were and their initial reaction to her, whether she was completely outshone by the others or whether they are considering her.  Her teacher is on the executive board, but because she has a student she is presenting, she will have had to leave the room before the viewings.  She has a friend who will call her and let her know what the buzz was though.

The more time that goes by, the less optimistic I am that it's good news, but we'll see.  We have to keep a Godly perspective here -- she will go to the competition if she is His choice, and she will not if she is not His choice.  I want her to be in God's will, not my will or her own for her entire life, of course, but especially when it comes to her ballet career.

I'll let you know when I know!


No comments:

Post a Comment