Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday, February 19

Again, many good things happened today, so it will be hard to chose my favorite.  Church was great, shopping with L was successful both in what we purchased and how little we paid, we again had a family hot tub soak under the stars, and we watched the movie Fireproof, which we all enjoyed.  All good, happy moments.  Oh, and T and I finally made it to the gym to exercise!  So which to choose?

Well, I'll pick a funny moment.  I have always had trouble on the spot coming up with the right name for a loved one.  I have on occasion gone through all four names before I hit on the right one for the kid I was addressing.  So tonight I was asking L to do something and I accidentally called her "Pup," one of my terms of endearment for Oliver.   =)  The shock and annoyance that registered on her face tickled me, especially given that Oliver does not rank high in L's book of favorite creatures.  But he ranks high in mine!  So she should be honored to be called by the dog's name, don't you think?

And an endearing moment.  We were sitting in the hot tub and L was speaking a little unfavorably about someone we know who has taken up something ~good~ and decided he's pretty hot stuff for doing it.  And beyond that, he's decided he'd better give us full advantage of his good example by telling us all about it fairly often.  It's both amusing and irritating, depending on your state of mind.  So L was irritated, that being her state of mind at the moment.  And R, unwittingly, and thereby more effectively, gave us full advantage of his good example by being neither amused nor irritated, but compassionate toward this person. He said, "He's just proud [of himself and excited about his new venture]."  (I just used 11 words to quote R when he really only used 3, reticent guy that he is.  But I wanted you to understand the sense in which R meant the word "proud.")  Didn't I tell you he was a special kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment