Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thursday, February 16

Today I have one funny and one happy moment to report.  First the funny one.  Poor Oliver has been so patient the past few days *not* getting his regular walks.  So today when L and I got home from dance we still had an hour to wait before the turkey breast was done, so I decided to get him out for a walk.  L wanted to come too, but I really would have preferred to walk with R.  After all, L is home schooled, so I spend all day with her.  R leaves at 7:00 a.m. every day, and then is anything but communicative when he comes home.  So I called up the stairs and asked R if he'd come with me to walk Ollie.  As expected, he said, Nah, I'm tired.  I begged and wheedled a little bit, not so much because I expected him to change his mind as much as I just wanted him to know I loved him and would cherish his company.  I said, half-kidding, "If you want to come, I'll totally ditch L!  I'll make her stay home!"

The look on L's face!  She was astonished, appalled that I would say such a thing!  Of course R wouldn't budge, so I went with L.  She said, "I can't believe you would say such a thing, Mom!  I shouldn't even go with you now.  You were serious!  You weren't even kidding!"

Cracked me up!  Just tickled my funny bone to see this kid who has my full attention all day every day, actually take umbrage that I would move her aside for her brother this once.  She did understand, I think.  She's just not used to me talking like that.  =) 

And I just hung up from my happy moment.  =)  B called just to tell me that she decided not to come home this weekend after all, but she needed a suitcase for her spring break trip.  And then she texted.  And then she called me again.  An hour and 45 minutes later, I got back off the phone.  I am so pleased to be her go-to person.  She had a lot to tell me, a lot of personal stuff, and the gist of the issue was that she doesn't have anyone to talk to!  (Umm.  So I guess I'm chopped liver!)  What she does mean is that there is no one with similar spiritual gifts for her to connect with there on campus.  I do not have her spiritual gift, but I am honored that she trusts me to be someone who will not misunderstand or mistrust her experiences, to be someone she can confide in and use as a sounding board.

So here it is, 11:45 p.m., way past my bedtime and I still have to take a shower.  But I am happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment