Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday, March 23

Today was a wonderful day!!!  There are a lot of things I could point to as happy moments, mostly because I had a very unusual day all to myself.  I spent it pretty much responsibly, although I was unsuccessful in getting our checking account to balance!  What's up with that???  I'm off by $130 and I haven't found the error yet.  But even that didn't disrupt my enjoyment of a quiet house for 4 hours before I had to leave.

But the awesome moment of the day came at the pediatrician's office with R.  We finally had the long awaited consultation about his ADD.  On the one hand it couldn't come fast enough (really, I only had to wait one week and one day for it), but on the other I was dreading having to convince another person that something else was going on besides plain laziness on R's part.  T and D had definitely put a dent in my confidence; they both think he's just lazy.  (T flips back and forth, but the more time dragged on, the more he was singing the lazy song.)

I was so thankful for this pediatrician.  He asked and then listened and listened and listened to what brought us to the point of investigating this in the first place.  He didn't even reveal right away that he had read the psychologist's report at all.  But when I was done, he told us he'd read the report and that he did agree that between what I just told him and the psychologist's report that this did sound like classic Inattentive ADD and he did think medication would help.  Then it was his turn to talk, and he spent at least half and hour explaining everything we'd need to know about the drugs available, their side effects, how to manage things.  He talked to R about his end of things, especially his organizational habits, that the drug will help but he still has to do the work himself.  Also how the drug will suppress his appetite, but he needs to eat anyway at lunch and in the afternoon, even if he doesn't feel hungry.  He needs to be sure to get enough sleep or the drug will not help.  And he assured us of his commitment to keep tweaking until we found the right drug and the right dosage to allow this kid to put some feet on his motivation.  I am so happy to have finally realized some help for this kid! 

Thank You, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment