Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wednesday, March 21

Who could not have had a day full of happy moments with the weather as beautiful as it was today?  Record-breaking 84 degrees in March?  Whoa, baby!

I did wake up still worried about R, but feeling better, more ready to relax and trust God with my good kid.  Went to my Bible study, which was AMAZING.  Our teaching leader has a way of taking everything I've always known about my faith and just putting it on its head, in a good way.  I love her teachings.

L had another good day of school, which is refreshing.  She had most of it done before I got home from Bible study.  Her poster for the Hunger Games party came out great!

Almost done!

Done, but the flash reflected off the yellow and didn't do justice to her shading.  Also, I managed to get it uploaded sideways, but you get the idea.  And there was a little problem of a black splotch on the wing there.  We're still working on fixing that.
On to other happy moments of the day though...my sister's Vera Bradley birthday gifts came in the mail.  Loved them all!  Can't wait to give them to her!

And I got to talk to D on the phone today, even though I just spoke with him a few days ago.  How lucky am I?  I love my D.  =)  Decided on getting him the white iPhone for his birthday coming up.

Went to dinner with T and L tonight while R was at baseball practice.  That was special.

R got an invitation to a girl's sweet sixteen birthday party in the mail today.   That was a bit of a surprise.  But the nice part was when he got home and I asked him about it he said, "Yeah, Hailey is a good friend of mine."  Somehow that warmed my heart, and it captures what I love about R.  R would say something like that.  He would value the friendship he has with her rather than her looks or her social status or even whether she's nice or not, which I'm sure she is if R likes her.  It's hard to put into words, but it strikes my soul as true and good, very R, and not a quality everyone has, to be able to value the friendship over what the other person brings to the table that you value or could make use of.

But the happy moment of the day came on the way home from the Bible study with my friend, Susan.  We always catch up on each other's weeks on the way to and from the Bible study, but as upset as I was about R this morning, I decided not to fill her in.  I just couldn't deal with the pressure of explaining again exactly what inattentive ADD is, defending the idea that it is different from pure laziness, and adding to that the trouble of potentially explaining it to coaches and pediatricians. Even T and D are not convinced that this is anything more than laziness in R, that it is only a character issue.  I just couldn't face having to convince one more person.  So I didn't say anything, and I thought it was a fair bet that she wouldn't ask.

I got away with keeping the conversation focused on her for the ride there, and almost all the way home.  We were almost to our subdivision when she did ask me what the psychologist said.  The last I'd spoken with her I was on my way to the psychologist's office to get his assessment.  In the end I was so thankful she did ask.  I told her everything, and it was an incredible balm to my soul that she understood.  Her son has ADHD, so she understands the concept of it being, in essence, a self-control issue, and yet the physical element playing into the problem. 

I know T is right that even if a pill is going to help R, there are still character issues that need to be addressed.  I wholly agree.  But I am desperate just to get him going on a medication to give him the boost he needs.  Then let's add to it some strict character enforcement: a clean room everyday, consistently good grades.  Then we can meet with his counselor and figure out how to mitigate the damage to his GPA that's been done so far.

Anyway, all that to say, I was so thankful to my friend just for listening and understanding and caring.  Even when I was so determined not to let her in.  That was my happy moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment