Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday, March 19

Glorious, sunny day today!  Two moments stand out in the day as particularly happy.

The first was talking to D this afternoon.  I was a little melancholy this morning realizing that he has truly grown up and into his own life now, a full two hours away.  Nagging him to come home more often will not do our relationship any good.  It costs a lot in gas money for him to come see us, and there really is nothing here for him anymore...except us.  His life really is on that side of the state now.  =(  I have to be thankful he's not further away than that, I know.

But then it occurred to me that four years ago, when D was a senior in high school, T and I had anticipated this day.  In an effort to forestall any distancing of hearts as this day approached, we bought into a timeshare plan.  The thought was that as the kids all grow up into their own lives, if we could get us all together even just once a year for a vacation together somewhere, it would go a long way to keeping the family bonds tight.  If we had to pay for everyone's lodging up front, the expense would keep it from ever happening.  But if the accommodations were effectively prepaid through the timeshare, we would be more likely to make it happen.  It has been a source of great guilt for me over the years that we spent so much money on this plan and have yet to use it.  I have always felt like I let us be suckered in a moment of motherly weakness as our first little chickadee was graduating from high school and flying away to college.

But today my happy moment came when it dawned on me that now was the time to use the timeshare!  The time had come and it hadn't been a stupid purchase at all!  I texted D to see if he'd be willing to reserve the week between Christmas and New Year this year to go away with the family. (I texted T in Florida first -- of course he was on board.)  D didn't respond to my text, as usual, but when we talked later in the afternoon, he said he was all for it.  And I think I'll also see what I can do about maybe an extended weekend up north this summer, maybe a bike trip.  We just have to be more intentional about time together now, that's all.

That was the first happy moment; the second was just silly.  Apparently all winter as we let Oliver in and out of the door wall, we have kept the screen open.  Today was 78 degrees, so the screen had been closed and the door wall open during the day.  So tonight when L opened the glass door to let Ollie in, he didn't realize the screen was closed, and he threw himself into the screen full force.  L cracked up at the sight.  The funniest part though was seeing Oliver in a bit of a huff knowing he was being laughed at.  I wonder if he thought she did that on purpose!  When L opened the screen and let him in, rather than bounding in and jumping on me to gleefully tell me he had returned like he usually does, he walked over to me sullenly with his head down.  He sat down between my feet and glared at L, baring his teeth at her.  Silly dog! I guess he does have some pride after all!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment