Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thursday, March 15

Many, many good things happened today.  How to choose one to win the prize for "Happy Moment?"

First of all, I was so thankful this morning that God gave me those two devotional passages (recorded in Small Dog, Tall Weeds) reminding me of His abundant, overflowing grace toward me and my commission from Him to PRAY for what I need.  That encouraged me greatly, and so I did pray.

Then I called the pediatricians' office, the one with the crabby, rude staff.  I was humbled and so grateful that the woman on the phone was not only not crabby, she was actually sweet.  I even imagined I heard in her voice actual compassion  in her voice for the crisis in my heart over this kid of mine being diagnosed with ADD.  The doctors only reserve one one-hour time slot per week each for ADD consultations, so I was even further humbled by the fact that my preferred doctor had an appointment available for me tomorrow or next Friday, whichever one I wanted.  As much as I would have loved to take tomorrow's appointment, I had to go with next Friday because the psychologist won't have the reports done and FAXed over the the pediatrician until then.  Thank You, Lord.  He is so kind and the whole scene oozed with His care, not only for R but for my shaken heart.

Later in the afternoon I had a good talk with R about what the psychologist told me, what his tests revealed, what it all meant.  He is not easy to read, but I think he understood.  I was so happy to be able to tell him first by way of apology that his dad and I had spent the whole year trying to create anxiety in him over his schoolwork and grades.  We did this without realizing he was already feeling a good deal of anxiety.  I was able to tell him that he has been battling something he cannot conquer on his own, and I didn't want him to feel anxious anymore.  I told him what he already knows, that a lot of damage has been done to his GPA this year, but I didn't want him to worry about it right now.  We just need to get him to a place where he can succeed at what he's good at, and we'll work to mitigate that problem later. 

R is a private person when it comes to his emotional life, so this whole process has been unsettling to him.  He hated the idea that his teachers had to be informed because they had to fill out some forms.  He just doesn't want people knowing his troubles in general.  It was actually early this morning that I first mentioned briefly that I didn't want him to be anxious anymore.  So on the way to school I asked him how he felt about it all, an annoying question to R right off, but I wanted to know!  I asked him whether he felt annoyed or relieved by the diagnosis, the whole thing.  He said, "Both."  And that was all the information I was going to get about his emotional state.  I'm sorry he is annoyed, but I am happy he is relieved!  An anxious kid who won't talk is a prescription for disaster!

And the last happy moment today also has to do with R.  He got home from the last night of tryouts and had learned that he indeed did make the JV baseball team for his high school.  I wasn't too worried, but while he is a good player, he's no stud.  He actually got very little playing time last year on the freshman team, and we heard that they were going to move some juniors down from Varsity to JV.  Not only is that unfair to the sophomores, but it definitely opened the door for R being cut.  Being cut is traumatic for anyone at anytime, but T and I felt like this is an especially sensitive year for R.  With school being a disaster this year, he really needs to feel good at something.  So I was very thankful he made the team.

It turns out they did move four juniors down to JV and one freshman up from the Freshman team.  And they did cut five sophomores, so our concern was justified.  They really could have cut R.  Whew!

So, lots of happy moments, all rooted in the fact that God is compassionate and faithful toward all He has made.  Thank You, Lord!  So maybe, if I have to choose one happy moment, I would choose early this morning, being reminded so gently to trust in His kindness and to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment