Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tuesday, March 20

My heart is twisted in worry tonight, so it's hard to think about what moment today was a happy one, although I know there were happy moments.  I know it shouldn't be.  I know God has all this under His control, that we are under His divine protection.  And it is partly that I'm just tired; everything will look better in the morning.

R and I went to the baseball parent meeting tonight.  No buses this year, so parents will be responsible for getting the kids to and from most games.  That is a worrisome thought right there because I just don't know how that is going to work with L's dance.  R's friend's mother works two jobs.  As it is she hasn't been able to help getting the boys to or from practices, so I know it'll be up to me to get not only R, but her son too to the games.  I might have to ask L's dance teacher if she could arrive at the studio just 20 minutes early and wait there until class starts.  Then on some days maybe she'll have to go home with a friend so I be at the games.  It's going to be a pain to manage, but that isn't what has my heart in a twist.

The hard  knot in my stomach was all their talk of grades, grades, grades.  If a boy has an E at any point in three of his classes, he is not allowed to play. But the coaches are saying their standard is that if a kid has two E's, he has no business playing baseball.  That is very generous, I admit!  Even one E should really make a kid ineligible.

Well, R has two E's right now, and I don't think that's going to be changing any time soon.  I'm frantic about it, but am at the point that I'm ready to just throw this year away, give up on it as a lost cause.  Our consultation with the pediatrician is Friday.  I got in to see him so quickly after we got the psychologist's report, but it just seems Friday will never come.  I'm desperate to be taking some action on behalf of this kid.

So now the coaches are going to be getting the kids' grade reports every week.  I tried to get R to pull the head coach aside with me last night after the meeting when most of the parents had dispersed and talk with him about the problem.  I thought if we beat him to it and ask for a little understanding and leniency, it might work in our favor.  Otherwise they're going to be pulling R aside themselves and he's going to have to explain this on his own, which will be tough.  How do you explain inattentive ADD to a coach?  Unless you've had it yourself or lived with a kid who has it, for all the world it just looks like laziness.  Even T has trouble accepting that this is not just laziness.

I'm desperate to get the kid on a pill and see some improvement.  Until then, it's just hard to explain.  I'm even reluctant to talk to his teachers or counselor about it.  Today is my CBS Bible study;  I'll drive up there with my friend and she's likely to ask about it.  I'm reluctant even to talk to her about it.  I don't like having to defend its legitimacy.  I dread even the thought that the pediatrician is not fully aware of all its implications and difficulties.  Am I even going to have to do some explaining and defending to him?

But the worst will be if this kid can't play baseball because of the disaster of his grades.  O Lord, please don't let that happen.  Please have mercy on this kid.  Guide us.  As it is, I'm not sure he's going to be able to head off to a four-year university with his peers.  He really might have to make up some lost time at a community college.  I pray You wouldn't allow baseball to be taken from him too.

But this is a happy moment blog, not a disaster blog.  In general it was a happy day.  The weather was pristine, I got Oliver out for a good walk while L did her schoolwork, and L was in a good mood, ready to accept my help without spitting nails at me!  I got her new pointe shoes sewn, which is a big deal for me because I am so SLOW at that chore.  L had to make a Mockingjay poster for her friend's Hunger Games party coming up, and it was a joy to see this budding little artist draw up a beautiful Mockingjay in no time flat. 

If I have to choose one happy moment of all that though, it would be doing school with L today with no tears.  That was wonderful!  

It's all L today.  R's day will come again.  I have to remember the verse God gave me only a few days ago from Psalm 42:
Why are you cast down, O my soul,
      and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him,
      my salvation and my God.
...
By day the Lord commands His steadfast love,
      and at night His song is with me,
      a prayer to the God of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment